COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH OFFICER
Job Title: Communications and Outreach Officer
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours of Work: Full time – 37.5 hours/ week, 9 – 5, (Flexible – Evening and Weekend Work Required)
Rate of Pay: $21.00/hour
The Sudbury Workers Education and Advocacy Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage members of the BIPOC community, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and workers requiring accommodation to apply. Applications are accepted until the job position is filled.
Summary of work areas:
The Communications and Outreach Officer is responsible for expanding our marketing reach, creating new partnerships and opportunities for program delivery in the Greater Sudbury region, as well as through Northeastern Ontario. They provide information regarding the services of the Sudbury Workers Education and Advocacy Centre, and assist in providing educational workshops and facilitated discussions on worker rights such as employment standards, health and safety and human rights. The Communications and Outreach officer creates public relations and marketing materials such as press releases, blog posts, social media posts, newsletters, posters and advertisements for our programming; maintains the webpage and social media sites; tracks and reports on communications analytics; and monitors and enhances the communications strategy in conjunction with the ED.
The Communications and Outreach also leads a special communications project called “Hands On Work”, developing and implementing an outreach and engagement strategy to capture stories and images of a broad selection of workers. Images will be of hands and feet of workers, and images and stories will be shared via social media, and developed into a book.
- Build community connections and capacity within the City of Greater Sudbury and throughout Northeastern Ontario;
- Implement outreach strategies, track and evaluate outreach results;
- Attending meetings as required
- Assist in the creation and delivery of presentations and workshops to various groups in Northeastern Ontario;
- Attend appropriate events and promote the Sudbury Workers Education and Advocacy centre and our programs and aims;
- Identify and assist with training volunteers to provide peer support and leadership for workers in the outlying communities;
- Keep up to date and informed on all Labour Law changes and regulations, and keep up to date and informed on all labour trends
- Provide progress reports
- Create content to support communications and marketing efforts, including newsletters, blog posts, social media posts, website copy, brochures, press releases, advertisements, posters and flyers, etc
- Plan and implement communications strategy for Hand on Work project
- Conduct interviews of participants in Hands on Work project
- Capture photos and videos of participants in Hands on Work project
- Monitor our online and social media presence
- With the ED, implement and asses the 2020-21 communications strategy in order to meet company objectives; and work with ED to create the 21-22 comm’s stragety
- Plan media conferences and other promotional events as required
- Coordinate staff and volunteers to support promotional events
- Perform outreach to media outlets, social media influencers and build strategic partnerships to increase brand awareness
This position is funded by NOHFC and is available to a University or college graduate who has graduated within the last three years from an accredited college or university. The candidate must be a graduate of a post-secondary degree or diploma program. The position will be a first full-time employment in the candidate’s field of study. The idea candidate is a recent graduate of a post-secondary institution with a certificate or degree in Marketing and Communications. Graduates with an educational background in Labour Studies, Law and Justice, or social work will also be considered.
- Bilingualism considered an asset;
- Valid driver’s license considered an asset, and access to a vehicle a bonus;
- Ability to work flexible hours;
- Ability to travel long distances (North Bay, Espanlo, Manitoulin, and other locations in Northeastern Ontario.)
- Working knowledge of labour standards considered an asset; but we are interested in candidates who are passionate, with lived experience, who are willing to share and engage